Happy national Cheeseburger Day! This recipe for Zucchini Boats stuffed with lean bison meat is a great way to celebrate but not overindulge!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients (Makes 6 zucchini boats)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground bison meat (or seitan if you’re vegetarian)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup dill pickle, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 + 1/2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded, divided
- 3 medium zucchini
- green onions, snipped with kitchen shears, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat, add ground bison and onion. Season well with salt and pepper. Brown the meat until cooked through breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add the ground bison mixture to a large bowl and mix in tomatoes and pickles.
- In the same skillet heat the butter for the sauce over medium-low heat, whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and mustard. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Turn heat down to low and add 1 cup of the Gouda stirring until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little.
- Meanwhile wash the zucchini and slice them in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds leaving the zucchini intact. Place on a large baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the ground meat. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Spoon the meat into the zucchini boats, sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/2 cup of Gouda.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with green onions to serve.