Today is National Culinary Day- and if boiling water is the extent of your culinary skills- today is YOUR day to expand that repertoire and try something NEW! Let’s make a yummy dip! Homemade Portuguese maionese de leite (may-o-NEZ duh late) or milk mayonnaise!
Milk mayonnaise is an emulsion- the mixture of two liquids that would ordinarily not mix together, like oil and vinegar. This eggless “mayo” is a light yet creamy, EASY starter for ANY dip but my favorite is an authentic Portuguese Green Olive Dip recipe I found by David Leite on his blog!
Scared? Don’t be- it’s not as hard as it sounds! All you need, essentially, is milk (any milk, even lactose-free milks), oil (any oil), a little bit of lemon juice, and some seasoning (garlic, pepper, and/ or any of your favorite herbs). I’ve seen some creative use of this as a base with Sriracha hot sauce, cilantro-ginger, curry, caper-chive, sun-dried tomato… the variations are endless! Please note that a small blender, mini chop, or handheld blender work better than larger food processors unless you’re making a bigger batch.
- 1/3 cup of COLD Milk (skim, whole, 2%, almond… any milk as long as its cold)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 3/4 cup of oil to be added SLOWLY (I use olive oil but any will work)
- Combine the milk, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper.
- Slowly add the oil in a slow, consistent stream or “thread” as you blend. It will take a few minutes but eventually your liquid will start to look fluffy. If it’s still a little watery- blend a little longer, add a little more oil, or place it in the fridge for 20 minutes and it should solidify more.
- You’re done with your Portuguese mayo! If you like, you can stop right here and use it as you would traditional mayo- with potato salad, BLT sandwiches, or continue this recipe to make Olive dip!
— To make the green olive dip–
Scoop the mayo into a serving dish and mix in 2/3 cup of chopped green olives- I like Castelvetrano but Manzanilla are good too. Chop up some cilantro, sprinkle on top, and serve with some crunchy sliced veggies and toasted baguette slices!