Start your week with a healthy, quick, inexpensive vegetarian recipe- Mediterranean Sauteé Spinach & Kidney Beans! I started making this dish as a cash-strapped vegetarian college student and it’s still my favorite go-to for quick, filling, healthy comfort food!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 Handfulls of fresh Spinach or 10 oz. of frozen spinach
- 1/3 cup Olives (I like kalamata but you could substitute black olives)
- 1/2 cup sliced Mushrooms (or 3 oz. canned mushrooms)
- 1 can of Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (or Nutritional yeast if you’re lactose intolerant or vegan)
- 1 clove of crushed Garlic
Directions (Takes ~12 minutes)
- Heat a frying pan on medium with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Coat mushrooms in the oil and cook for about 6 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add spinach. Toss to coat them in the oil and balsamic vinegar. Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Incorporate grated parmesan into the cooking liquid. Add a little water if your sauce needs more liquid.
- Add Kidney beans and Olives and continue to simmer until everything is warmed through and incorporated together.
- Serve over quinoa for some healthy, belly-filling additional protein. And sprinkle some parsley on top if you feel like getting fancy with your presentation.
Meatless Monday is a non-profit initiative in association with the Johns Hopkins’ Bloomberg School of Public Health. On their website they provide the information and recipes you need to start each week with healthy, environmentally friendly, meat-free alternatives. The goal of Meatless Monday is to help you reduce your meat consumption by 15% in order to improve your personal health and the health of the planet. If you’re interested in more about Meatless Mondays, please visit their website at meatlessmonday.com.