This spray will keep in the fridge for 3-4 months or longer, contains no nasty chemicals, and is a 1/5 the cost of store-bought “beach hair” products!
- 1 cup of warm water (Can also use strong Chamomile Tea as the base if you want to lighten hair or black tea as the base if you want to darken hair- be sure to keep refrigerated after making.)
- 2 tablespoons epsom salts (or more for extra texture)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt (optional but adds stiffness)
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel (adds moisture and protects hair)
- 1/2 tsp natural oil or conditioner (almond oil, jajoba oil, grapeseed oil, or Argan oil are wonderful for hair)
- optional: a spritz of your favorite perfume for scent- Lavender and citrus are great options
- optional: 1 teaspoon lemon juice (lightens hair- also makes it need to be refrigerated)
- optional: 1 teaspoon alcohol (preservative)
Mix together and pour into an empty spray bottle. Prone to frizzy or dry hair? Tweak the recipe and add a little more essential oil and less salt, or don’t include alcohol as a preservative.
Spray on damp hair and scrunch with a towel to dry for loose beach waves or apply to roots just for added volume and not waves.
Or for an easy, overnight hairdo: Spray on damp hair. Part hair into four sections and one by one, wrap around your finger, and pin at the crown of your head. Wrap a chic scarf around your head to protect your hair while you sleep. In the morning, after showering and dressing, unpin each section and shake out your hair. You’ll have glorious, wavy mermaid locks without spending a lot of time or money!